Tuesday

"When I Think of Winter" by Local NH Poet, John-Michael Albert


When I think of Winter

I.

When I think if winter
I think of peace.
The birth and bloom of noisy spring,
The summer’s heat, the autumn’s ring;
I think of peace:
The way the snow falls over night
And blankets all in sound and sight.
O, When I think of winter
(When I think of you)
I think of peace.

II.

When I think of winter
I think of warmth:
Of coats and scarves and hats and gloves,
Of clouds of breath and shiv’ring doves;
I think of warmth:
To be secure within my home,
To be with friends or all alone.
O, When I think of winter
(When I think of you)
I think of warmth.

III.

When I think of winter
I think of love:
Of pairs of skaters at the rink
With steaming choc’late milk to drink;
I think of love:
The mixed up pain of gain and loss,
The bills and beds, the gold and dross.
O, When I think of winter
(When I think of you)
I think of love.

When last year’s gifts all droop and die
And I, alone, am left as witness
To the wonder, to the terror, to the ‘Why?’.
O, When I think of winter,
When I think of winter:
I think of you.

by John-Michael Albert

No comments:

Weblog created and updated by Lorelei Chernyshov